This program reflects music’s ability to speak to harmony, unity, and shared humanity. Philharmonic musicians are joined by colleagues from around the world for Mahler’s epic Seventh Symphony, an evocation of the Romantic tradition through exquisite nocturnal nature-music.
Symphony No. 7 (1904–05)
1. Langsam (Slow) — Allegro risoluto, ma non troppo
2. Nachtmusik (Night Music): Allegro moderato — Andante molto moderato
3. Scherzo: Schattenhaft (Shadowlike). Fliessend, aber nicht schnell (Flowing, but not fast)
4. Nachtmusik (Night Music): Andante amoroso
5. Rondo–Finale: Tempo I (Allegro ordinario — Allegro moderato ma energico)
These concerts were presented by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Additional funding was provided by the Howard Gilman Foundation and Ms. Joyce B. Cowin.